Naturism, nudism, social nudity, public nudity, sunning, clothes-free, are all terms referring to “a lifestyle in harmony with nature, expressed through social nudity, and characterized by self-respect of people with different opinions and of the environment.” “Naturism” is the most widely accepted, followed closely by “nudism” in the United States.
In certain locations, naturism and nudism mean different things. Nudism is quite literally the act of being naked. Naturism on the other hand, refers to an all-embracing lifestyle, which includes healthy eating, staying in shape, free from conflict, as well as embracing the act of nudity.
Some Brief History on the Origins of Nudism
Social nudity is nothing new; it has been practiced throughout history in many different cultures. In the United States and other Western societies, common situations in which social nudity can be observed may include bathing, public saunas, or swimming in pools or at a nudist beach.
Jean Baptiste Luc Planchon was the first to advocate the use of the term “naturism” as a way to describe a natural style of life and health. In French: l’hygiène de vie. Roughly a century later, Germany began publishing the first journal of nudism in 1902. By 1903, the first organized nudist club was opened by Paul Zimmerman; he called it Freilichtpark, which means the Free-Light Park.
Are All Nudists the Same?
Not everyone shares the same ideas when it comes to the nudist philosophy. Some just enjoy a nude-lifestyle with close friends or relatives; others have deeply held beliefs and see group public nudity to be one of many very important principles in leading a happy and healthy life. Generally, sexuality is clearly separated from the naturist’s philosophy.
What Are Some Advantages for Being Nude?
- Conservation of Water and Energy:
- Wearing clothing less often will save you money as it cuts down on your water bill. There is no such thing as staining your clothes when you aren’t wearing them!
- Cleaner and Healthier Skin
- Pheromones now become airborne instead of being trapped into clothes
- Tropical environments are often very humid, without the body’s ability to cool itself off like it naturally would, skin conditions may arise.
- Skin that is bare limits the ability for unhealthy yeast or bacteria to cultivate
- Proper Psychological Development
- Open nudity allows a deeper understanding of how the human body looks, and feels in a natural setting. This will help ensure nobody feels shame towards his or her own body.
- Social Status Cultural Lines are Blurred
- Expensive or cheap clothing can no longer separate people into working, middle, or upper classes.
- No need to worry about choosing which clothes to wear based on the image you feel the need to present
- Freedom of sexual expression without fear of judgment based on clothing
Remember, unfortunately much of our society has negatively associated nudity with sexuality. People have sex naked: True. This does not mean that being naked is all about having sex. Skimpy and revealing clothing is often times must more sexually suggestive than being completely nude. Naturists are not about public sexual relations or exposing themselves to others who do not want to be included; in fact we are actually quite normal in the grand scheme of things, and do not try to sexually connect with others more than any other group of people. Unfortunately, many laws see this lifestyle in a different light; nudists still need to follow the law of the land to avoid any legal issues.
This map explains which states have allowed topless freedom for both men and women:
- Green: Topless freedom is legal according to state law.
- Tan: Laws are unclear concerning the showing of female breasts.
- Red: Showing the female breast is illegal according to state law.
Although the majority of states have allowed female breast exposure, it is also true that the majority of cities within each of the states have enacted local ordinances that completely outlaw female topless exposure, or outline various restrictions when permitting such behavior. One such example may be providing public areas reserved for nudists, allowing them to be exposed, while making it an arrestable offense if exposed outside of the designated area.
What is TrueNudists.co All About?
At TrueNudists.co our goal is to embrace all philosophies. We hope to start a community where everyone can explore both sides of the spectrum, together and free from judgment.
We must be able to recognize that nudity is completely natural. We are born without clothing, and our natural state is without clothing. We are all just (hopefully) well-kempt animals; our bodies evolved to exist without clothing. Sure, clothes can keep us warm when needed; this is their original purpose, but it does not mean that they must be worn at all times.
There is an overwhelming sense of freedom as the cool breeze and the warm sun envelop your entire body, not just areas that are normally exposed. People choose nudism or naturism to achieve this particular feeling of freedom and being one with the environment; it is not simply all about being naked, its also about being closer with nature while being in your natural state without clothing.